Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sprouts

This morning I noticed that the Winter Rye, which was sown on October 10, is beginning to sprout. Judging by the size and quantity of the seedlings, I suspect that they actually sprouted yesterday. Either way, the seedlings are about 2" tall already and appear to have a reddish color on the tips. I am surprised they even sprouted at all. I did not think they would do well due to the drastic temperature changes recently.

Also, a few of the radish seeds sprouted and some of the Red Romaine Lettuce sprouted as well. Though these seedlings just barely broke through the soil.

Indoor seedlings are all healthy and many of them are showing their first true leaves. I trimmed one of the two onion flats by snipping off the top inch of each seedlings. This is a test to see which flat does better to determine if clipping has an effect. I have not fertilized the indoor seedlings in over 5 days and I haven't fertilized the cold frame seeds since sowing. I plan on fertilizing with the organic kelp extract solution tomorrow.

In terms of the progress of this blog, I got my camera so I plan on starting to upload pictures in order to track the garden visually and reduce the need for complicated descriptions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home